Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Thursday, October 20, 2011

Avonlea

Meaning: ("A return to childlike faith, simple beauty, noble purity, and compassion for the least" Anne of Green Gables. It was her home town on Prince Edward Island, Canada. "Avon" is an old Celtic word meaning "river" (not just the River Avon), and "lea" means "a clearing, pasture or meadow". Ergo, Avonlea would mean "clearing, meadow, etc. situated by a river".)

Origin: (Celtic, English, Canadian)

Pronunciation: (A-vən-lee, av-un-lee, a-ven-lee, aa-vun-lee (the "A" is pronounced like the "A" in apple. It is not said like "AVON" the cosmetic product. And the "LEA" is pronounced like "LEE"), ah-von-LEE)

Gender: Female

I was watching Insp channel the last view days and they are advertising Road to Avonlea this Saturday. I really think this is a pretty name and it would be very cool on a character.

8 comments:

  1. I love this name and have it on my list to go on my blog, its such a sweet name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is a really sweet pretty name. I had forgotten I had heard and seen this years ago when I would watch and read Anne of Green Gables. It was the other day I saw and heard it and instantly liked it. It stuck in my head so I decided to add it to my blog. Glad someone else likes it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just now I am re-reading the Anne of Green Gables series and I absolutely love the name Avonlea. I was thinking of it as a name for a house, but it would be beautiful and unique on a girl. But I think that I would rather pronounce it Uh-von-lee- a. But pronounced Avonlee is still pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People in general seem to add or make there own pronunciations of foreign or unknown or known names. I am really bad at just going with a pronunciation that I think is correct or close to the proper pronunciation. I think many names have several different pronunciations because people from different regions and who have different accents pronounce names so much differently than others. But that's the beauty of most names; there is almost never a wrong pronunciation.

    Though I heard this name before I saw it I still had a hard time pronouncing it when I at first saw it. I think with this name and many others what ever is easiest to pronounce for the reader I say go with it. I do now though pronounce this av-un-lee.

    I am glad you liked the name. I hope you found my blog helpful. I hope if you found this blog helpful that you come back often as I add new names often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I named my girl Avonlea in 2014, and still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is cool to hear this pretty name has and is being used, its so unique and lovely and I'd love to hear of more people with this name! Thank you so much for commenting on my blog!:~)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also named my daughter Avonlea Elizabeth in 2014. It is sometimes mispronounced but I have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for commenting on my blog and sharing that you too have named your daughter Avonlea and in the same year as the other commenter, lol! It is really cool to hear again of this being used as a name!

    ReplyDelete

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com