Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Thursday, October 13, 2011

Edelweiss

Meaning: (White Mountain Flower, The common name comes from German edel, meaning "noble", and weiß (also spelled weiss) "white", thus signifying "noble whiteness".
The scientific name Leontopodium is a Latin adaptation of Greek leontopódion (λεοντοπόδιον) "lion's paw", from léōn "lion" and pódion "foot" (diminutive of poús, podós "foot").
The Romanian name, floarea reginei, means "Queen's flower". Also, another common name is floare de colţ which means "the corner's flower".
The Persian name is gol-e-yax, which translates as "ice flower")

Origin: (German)

Pronunciation: (Ay-dell-vice, Go to this site and run your cursor over Edelweiss to hear how it is said: http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=edelweiss)

Gender: Female


This is a flower that could make a pretty name or if used wrong could sound funny on a character. It is all about the story and character whether it makes or breaks this as a character name. I think Edelweiss the flower are so pretty. I have liked them since I watched Sound of Music (one of my favorite movies). There is the song in the film where Captain Von Trapp sings to his children. Here are the lyrics from Rodgers and Hammerstein's Sound of Music (1965): (I think these lyrics are correct):

Edelweiss, edelweiss, every morning you greet me
small and white,
clean and bright,
you look happy to meet me
blossom of snow
may you bloom and grow,
bloom and grow forever
Edelweiss, edelweiss, bless my home-land forever

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com