Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Audra

Meaning: (Storm, Noble Strength, Derived from the Old English Æđelþpryđ or Æthelthryth, a compound name composed of the elements æđel, æthel (noble) and þryđ, thryth (might, strength): hence, "noble strength.")

Origin: (Old English, Lithuanian, German)

Pronunciation: (AW-drə, ah-d-r-uh, aw-d-rah, AH-druh, Aw-dra, AO-DRah)

Gender: Female

I have liked this name since I watched the 60's old west T.V show The Big Valley. The Barkley's are the family in the show and Audra Barkley is the only daughter. I have always liked the name Ardra *which is a name I have posted on this blog* so when I saw Audra I thought it had a similar look and meaning and is a pretty name as well. The meaning is lovely and strong yet feminine.

I love names that have a meaning that means "Noble". Thus my love of names like Ardra, Adelaide, Adele, Fallon & Audra. They are just such pretty names & I write about nobility a lot in my novels so names that have either a noble look or meaning are great finds for me.

3 comments:

  1. My name is Audra. A lot of people get mixed up and end up calling me 'Audrey'
    Usually I don't bother correcting them (I don't really care) but my siblings tend to correct them :P
    I am only just now coming to really appreciate the name. I don't know why, but I never really liked it all that much before. Even if I have gotten a few compliments before. I remember one lady gasping and going 'that name is BEAUTIFUL!' and it made me happy but I still wasn't particularily fond of it.
    I remember the first time I looked up the meaning. I'm rather happy about it idk why lol
    I remember telling my mum and sister that it meant 'storm' and they were like 'Yep that sounds about right' xD
    I've heard a few different stories on why my mother chose that name. She mention how she watched The Big Valley and she always commented on how the character Audra was just GORGEOUS and she loved the name or something. And then I heard something about her reading it in a news paper or something?? She doesn't seem to remember that though so idk haha
    My mum told me that my older brother suggested naming me Annika after Annika Hansen from Star Trek and apparently my father didn't like it. I had always told my mum how dissappointed I was that she didn't name me that xD
    But I'm getting over it :P
    I don't meet new people that much, so I've only gotten a small variety of reactions so far. I don't know why but some people seem to have trouble with it.
    It's quite funny seeing them roll it around their tongue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. **** You may not come back and look at this reply but in case you do I want all commentors to know I do try to reply to them. If you see my post on the main page you will see I couldn't post or reply to comments because of computer problems. I did however get the comments, including this one.*****

      I can see where the name Audra when heard can be misheard and mispronounced as Audrey, even I have slipped up a few times when saying it. It is similar to mine in that Cassidy is often mispronounced, some hear and say Cassie, Cathy, Chastity. Others spell it Cassity or Cassady. I really just correct them politely if I think I need to. Usually I just answer to what ever as long as I know they are speaking to me, lol!

      I really never liked my name when growing up either. I would have rather been named Victoria or Elizabeth. But as I got older I really came to love my name. I think this happens to a lot of people.

      Your name Audra is really Beautiful! The meanings are really pretty! The name Annika is very Beautiful too and is I believe on my blog. But Audra I think is a tad more unique than Annika.

      LOL, the same thing happened to me with the reason my mom chose my name. She said once it was my older sister who suggested it and then she said it was the name of a woman she knew years before I was born and she fell in love with the name. Then she said had I been a boy she would have named me Michael but then she said she would have named me Cassidy either way as Cassidy is a Uni-Sex name and that as a girl Cassidy Elizabeth was the full first and middle name but as a boy it would have been Cassidy Michael.

      I say enjoy your name as it's really pretty and unique!

      Again Thanks for the Comment! Have a Great Day!

      Delete
    2. Oh and Please Do Come Back and Check Out My Blog Again!

      Delete

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com