Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Friday, April 5, 2013

Darcy / Darcie

Meaning:  (Dark, Dark One, Also a Norman place name, “from Arcy.” Denoting one who came form Arcy in France. The first name is derived from the baronial surname D’Arcy introduced into Britain during the Norman Conquest. The surname was borne by Norman barons who came from the town Arcy in Northern France and attacked Ireland after the conquest of England in 1066. The town name is itself of the Latin element arx with the meaning ‘Fortress’. It represents the transferred use of the geographic name and the surname as a given name. Literary: Jane Austen named the haughty hero of “Pride and Prejudice” (1813) “Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy”, with connotations of Norman Aristocracy. The somewhat aristocratic name has been used by English speakers since the 19th Century.)

Origin: (Irish, Gaelic, English, Old French)

Pronunciation: (DAHR-see, DAARSiy)

Gender: Uni-Sex

I have liked the name Darcy since I first fell in love with the novel & movies Pride and Prejudice. Recently I read another book Royal Flush by Rhys Bowen where there is a character in it named Darcy O’Mara. I have heard this name often and I really do love it. The meanings and history of this name are interesting. It is an old name but it is short, easily pronounced and very handsome. I like Darcy for a male and Darcie for a girl though I guess you can have Darcy for a girl as well as I have seen it done that way. Then you don’t have to use the miss spelled Darcie. Though I really do like both of the spellings Darcy & Darcie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com