Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Saturday, November 23, 2013

Rhydwyn

Meaning: (Dweller by the White Ford, made from elements meaning "White; Blessed" and "Ford; Crossing".)

Origin: (Welsh, Irish)

Pronunciation: (HRID win)

Gender: Female, possibly Uni-Sex

I was looking up the name Rhydian *see on list of posts*. Apparently Rhydian is a variant of Rhydwyn. The meanings are pretty good and I do really love the look just like I love the look of Rhydian. Of course Rhydwyn seems more feminine than Rhydian to me. Of course the two Y’s in the name could throw some readers off though. But this is a really good Welsh name that could be used in a made up realm but still look old enough and have links to our world.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, this name is SO Welsh! It has no vowels... (But then again, in Welsh, y and w are vowels).

    I really like it! It has a bronze hue to it, like a warrior in bronze armor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never thought of a warrior in bronze armor when I saw this name before, but that’s what is awesome about certain names, it makes each person who sees and hears it think different things about the name.

      I prefer the variant Rhydian way better *I’m actually super obsessed with it. So much so that I even added it to my Favorite Female and Favorite Male Names List on the right side of this blog* but when I think of Rhydwyn I think of a noblewoman anywhere between 900’s-1400’s. Lady Rhydwyn *has a nice ring to it*, who maybe against her father’s advice dons armor in a great battle and pretends to be a man but later admits to her deceit. I have heard of certain women in history who did just that. There was a noblewoman named Petronilla de Grandmesnil, Countess of Leicester, in the 1100’s who often donned armor and accompanied her husband on military campaigns. There were often others but I can’t remember their names.

      As for Rhydwyn on a man character, I can see a strong warrior type in armor. But I also think it would be an amazing name in modern times but also in the future on maybe another world, but that’s just me, LOL!

      I know very little about the Welsh naming style but lately I have really come to like the meanings, spellings, and pronunciations of Welsh names, Irish names, Scottish names, and Old English names. I just think they are really cool and really pretty or really strong depending on the gender.

      I am glad you like this name.

      Delete

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com