Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Monday, December 30, 2013

Cameron / Kameron

Meaning: (Crooked Nose, Bent Nose, Highlands Clan name derived from the facial feature (Gaelic “cam sron”). Also possibly means “Crooked Stream” or “Crooked Hill”. Nickname of an especially valorous ancestor that became the surname of one of the oldest clans in Scotland. There were also Cameron’s in the Lowlands, linked with Cambernon in Normandy.)

Origin: (Scottish, Gaelic, Celtic)

Pronunciation: (KAM-er-en, KAEMahRahN, KAEMRahN)

Gender: Uni-Sex

I have never been a fan of this name primarily because it is too popular and I have never liked the look of it, I’m not sure why. Of course I know a Kameron in real life, so no offence to anything I say about the name. Another reason I don’t care for it is the main meaning “Crooked Nose”, but then again my name primarily means “Curly Haired” which might not please some (I don’t mind it). But one shouldn’t primarily base a name pick off of the meaning. But fortunately there are other meanings that are decent with this name if one is choosing a name for the meaning. I do however like that it’s one of the oldest clan’s names in Scotland. An author could use this name in reference to a characters background and connection to the Highlands and Lowlands Clans of Scotland.

If being used I prefer Cameron with a C not Kameron with a K because I want to think Kardashian when I see C names starting with a K. The Kameron I know has two sisters, Krystal and Kayla. So the K thing was a family thing just like the Kardashians. But I shouldn’t speak as I have done the same thing for a trio of my 2 brothers and 1 sister characters in one of my novels, all their names started with K’s.

Anyway before I come off even snarkier (honestly not trying to sound that way) I decided to add this because I have seen and heard this name a lot lately. I was watching a show the other day with Cameron Diaz in it and then I saw it on another show. So I decided to add it because there are authors and writers who will love this name and see it as the perfect name for their character. Good Nicknames: Cam, Cammy (Female), and Ron. A saving grace for me with this name would be to have it with the nickname Cam, which I think is cute and could do well on either gender.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com