Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Friday, December 20, 2013

Ceri

Meaning: (Beloved, Fair, Blessed Poetry, It is derived from the word Car which is of the meaning ‘Love’. The name is a modern Welsh coinage and equivalent of the English Amy; it grew in popularity under the influence of names such as Glady’s, and was promoted by the Welsh singer-songwriter Cerys Matthews (1969- ). In addition, Ceri is a contracted form of the English and Welsh Ceridwen in the Welsh language. May also come from the word “Caru” meaning “To Love”. )

Origin: (Welsh, French, English)

Pronunciation: (Kerry, KE-ri)

Gender: Uni-Sex

Recently I have watched a show with an all English (British) cast. One of the main characters mother is named Ceri. I love the meanings and I love how this name doesn’t to some seem like it would be pronounced Kerry. Most think its pronounced SEER-ee. But given that my name (Cassidy) is of similar origin I was able to grasp the pronunciation of Ceri better. The C in Cassidy sounds like a K just like the C in Ceri. So like you wouldn’t pronounce my name as it sounds. If you did it would sound something like Sass-sih-dee instead of KASS-sih-dee.

I really do like the look of Ceri as well. I love Welsh names and this is one I really like a lot right now. I also just like the over all look of Ceri better than Kerry, even though they are seemingly the same. But I think it is the spelling Ceri I really like over Kerry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com