Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Monday, February 24, 2014

Valkryie

Meaning: (Chooser of the Slain, In Norse mythology, the Valkyries would swoop down on the battlefield and carry away the souls of the fallen. Mythology: the attendants of Odin who guide the heroes slain in battle to the feasting hall on Valhalla. Frey’s Priestesses. Is one of a host of female figures who decide who will die in battle. Selecting among half of those who die in battle (the other half go to the goddess Freyja's afterlife field Fólkvangr), the valkyries bring their chosen to the afterlife hall of the slain, Valhalla, ruled over by the god Odin. There, when the einherjar are not preparing for the events of Ragnarök, the valkyries bear them mead. Valkyries also appear as lovers of heroes and other mortals, where they are sometimes described as the daughters of royalty, sometimes accompanied by ravens, and sometimes connected to swans.)

Origin: (Scandinavian, Norse Mythology, Norse)

Pronunciation: (Val-keer-ee, val-ker-ee, val-kuh-ree, Go to this site and run your cursor over the name Valkyrie to hear how it is said: http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=valkyrie)

Gender: Uni-Sex

I never thought this would ever be used as a person’s name. I found evidence though that some people have named their daughters Valkryie. I found this name of interest as it has a close association to Odin *see on list of posts* which is one of my characters names. The Norse mythology just like Odin is very interesting. Also its association to Ragnarök as mention was particularly interesting as one of my characters is named Ragnar *see on list of posts* also Ravens play a key role in my novel so I think Valkyrie may have a use in my current novel.

I think as a name it is interesting and kind of pretty. The meanings are a bit scary but I would rather it be a characters name then a real live person’s name, but to each there own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com