Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Thursday, September 10, 2015

Tris

Meaning: (Derived from the Latin Beatrix “She Who Makes Happy, She Who Brings Happiness”, which is from Beatus “Happy, Blessed”. Traveler, Pilgrim, Bringer of Joy, Noble, Patrician. Sad din, in a story from the Middle Ages, Tristan, nephew of King Mark of Cornwall, was in love with the Princess Iseult of Ireland. Short form of names like Tricia, Patricia, Beatrice/Beatrix, and Tristan.)

Origin: (Celtic, Latin, English)

Pronunciation: (TRIHS, TRIH-ss)

Gender: Uni-Sex

I was watching the movie Divergent (also a book) and the main female character is named Beatrice but later goes by the nickname Tris. I really like this name / nickname and the meanings a lot. I have used the name Beatrice *see on list of posts* before and had that characters sister Eden *see on list of posts*call her Tris and her twin brother Curran calls her Bea. I love that this can be a form of Patricia, Tricia and Tristan *see on list of posts*, I have never seen it as a form of those names before but I can see it now and I love it a lot. I would love to have a character named Tristan with the nickname Tris, which would be cute.

Tris is so light and airy and cute. I would love to see it used a bit more often but not too much as it could I fear become a tired name / nickname.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com