Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Friday, October 9, 2015

Primrose

Meaning: (First Rose)

Origin: (English, Latin)

Pronunciation: (PRIM-roz, go to this link and run your cursor over the name Primrose to hear how it is pronounced:  http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=primrose)

Gender: Female

I have a character in the novel I finished a few months ago whose middle name is Primrose. It is to go with her nature meaning first name, Gaia *see on list of posts*. Basically the meaning of her first and middle names combine to mean Mother Earths First Rose or The Earths First Rose or The Lands First Rose.

There have been a few Primroses in literature but most notable is Primrose “Prim” Everdeen, the younger sister of Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games Novels. But fortunately it is not used too often so it still holds a charm.

I think the name Primrose is very beautiful and seems a name that would have been at its height in the Victorian Era as they loved flower names like Rose, Violet, Iris, Lilly, ect. However if used in a the common era I can see some down falls, most notably the nickname Prim as in Prim and Proper and thus making it often be seen as a prudish name. I have seen similar downfalls for other lovely names like Prudence *see on list of posts*. I think they are lovely but can have mean nicknames.

I even at first was not a fan of this name but as you can see the right character came along and changed that for me. I at first intended to not give Gaia a middle name as there was no where it is mentioned in the novel but as I was finishing a spot came up near the end where full names are mentioned and so I added middle names for all the other characters mentioned in that section but was not going to give Gaia one but then I decided I really wanted to give her one. So when I was looking for a middle name for my character Gaia Primrose popped in my head right away but I was reluctant to use it as I was not a huge fan. So I looked around for a more appropriate middle name but Primrose just seemed to be it and so no other name would do. I am pleased with it and it fits my character very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com