Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Amphelisia

Meaning: (On Both Sides, Around, Noble, Nobility, Kind, Friendly, From the Blessed Isles, and Devoted to God. Amphelisia is found as a woman's name from the 12th to the 18th century, but the etymology is unknown. This form was used by Wolfram von Eschenbach for two characters in his Middle High German romance 'Parzival', one of which was the Queen of France during the time of Uther. Amphélise belonged to the mother of Pope Urban V.)

Origin: (Medieval English, Literature)

Pronunciation: (am-fuh-el-ee-see-uh, am-phuh-elye-see-uh, Elisia: EHLIYSiyAH)

Gender: Uni-Sex

I really think this is a unique name with a great old history. It kind of makes me think amphibian when I see it though. I could not find a pronunciation so I am going to put my guess above but if anyone knows it please let me know in the comment section of this post as I would be grateful. I think this looks a little bit like an Elfish name. I really like this name but the pronunciation or lack there of is throwing me off.


Edit December 29, 2015:

So I felt bad that I had not done enough research for this name or also that I really couldn't find very much. So I looked up each part of the name again. The latter part of the name which is Elisia means the following, Noble, Nobility, Kind, Friendly, From the Blessed Isles, and Devoted to God. So since I think those are great meanings for a part of the name I am going to add it above. I also found the pronunciation for Elisia so I added that above under Pronunciation.

So the first part Amph however was harder. I did read it was similar and came from Amphi like in Amphitheatre, if that is true then the first part means, On Both Sides, Around. I can't be for sure if that is right. Even if I am not 100% sure I am going to add those meanings above as I did for the latter part Elisia.

If the meanings are right then the meaning combinations could be, On Both Sides Noble, On Both Sides of Nobility, On Both Sides Friendly, On Both Sides From the Blessed Isles, ect.

So again I am not 100% sure these meanings are correctly applied to this name but from my research they are close and are meanings for each part of the name separated but not necessary correct when the parts are combined but they seem good to me. This is just one of those old tricky names whose meanings and History has all but disappeared with time and not being used.

2 comments:

  1. Such a cool name! I think I'll use this one. Thanks for sharing, I'm stingy with my characters' names. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear you found my blog to be helpful and that you like the name Amphelisia. I really think it is a really cool name as well! I am also glad to hear that you intend to use this name for your character. I am always happy to hear of names I have added to my blog being used, so thanks for sharing that you intend to use it! If you care to you can comment in the comment section of this post and share why you chose this name for your character as I always love to hear how ones choose names for their characters, especially uncommon / unique names like Amphelisia.

      Also you may see I did more research on the name and added that under Edit on my post above!

      Thanks for visiting my blog! Please come back and visit my blog again!

      Happy Writing!/ Happy Naming!

      Delete

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com