Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Sunday, November 20, 2016

Ashton

Meaning: (Ash Tree Town, the man who lives at the farm or dwelling near the ash tree". Transferred use of the surname meaning “Belonging to Ashton.” The name originated from the English place-name, which is composed of the elements æsc (Ash Tree) and tūn (Town, Settlement, Village, and Enclosure)

Origin: (Old English)

Pronunciation: (ASH-tən, ASH-tuhn)

Gender: Uni-Sex

Last month I mentioned my other friend Cameron *see on list of posts* having the middle name Irie *see on list of posts* well I have another friend named Kameron *see on list of posts*, two different guys and one spelled the traditional way with a C and the other spelling it the non-traditional way with a K. To find the names it’s put as Cameron / Kameron on this blog. Anyway this Kameron has Ashton as his middle name. When I learned that it made me view the first and middle name Kameron Ashton as a very preppy name and made me think too of actor Ashton Kutcher, lol! I don’t mean it to sound like I am downing Ashton as a preppy name I am simply pointing out that Ashton hasn’t been put up on my blog until now because it’s a little too common and preppy. I do however have Aston *see on list of posts* because at the time I put that one up I wasn’t ready to add Ashton quite yet and Aston was as close looking to Ashton for my taste at the time.

Now I am seeing preppy names as slightly handsome and sexy in a way and preppy to me goes outside of prep schools. To me it seems it could be noble / royal names, like Lord Ashton, that seem a little snooty / preppy but kind of hot in the same regard. I am so complicated on what I like and don’t like and I am in a yes / no with preppy names such as Ashton but anyway I do like the name Ashton. I like the meanings and I’ve actually had names on this blog with this same meaning before. It also has a nice older history at least as a last name. All in all I like it and at least it’s simple and pronounceable as that is a plus to any authors out their contemplating using this name as their characters name. And also this would work on both genders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com